Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Part I - Getting there

It is a ritual. It is extremely impotant in this phase of my life. In total I spent some 100 plus hours in getting there. And result of it has not added more than 50 hour worth of value to 240 hours of mine in last one month. Any guessess!!! Yoah, me talking about summers.

Getting a summers in the company of choice, at stipend of choice, location of choice and a profile of choice (Note, note: PRofile comes last in my list) is a tough ballgame, as any of my b-school fellas would agree.

The flurry of activity which lasted a few months, made the process, for some of us who rolled from company to company, a painful drill. Ya, ya my college is not an IIM, so we still have a rolling summers process! (sigh)

Here is how it went... So, I would dress up in formals, read up a bit on info sent to me by the Infohub Cell and reach the right class room in time. Only to find out that venue has shifted or the company is 30 minutes late. So, smartly I would take out my Business World and start browsing. After all time management is one of 'b school' thingie. So I flip pages, no one in sight, I read two articles, a few more batchmates roll in. I finish the mag and ppt is yet to start! I think about the class which i was supposed to attend and wonder if that would have been more productive. Dismissal of that though happens a microsecond later... So I go through the ppt. Wait. Go through the first round of G.D.. Look for familiar faces. Go through case study round. Pace through the room. Go through management game. Grab a bite. Go through interview. Notice my now crumpled shirt.
And then walk back to hostel. Exhaused and cursing the company. If they had to take fresehers finally, why on the earth did they drag me right up to interview stage and wasted some 8 -9 hours of mine. After 6 of such drills, i was close to banging my head on the wall. Why me, god? Why me? Why did i work for some years before i got into a b school... Damn!


No comments: